And what category does the PS2, Wii, Xbox, Nintendo DS/3DS fit into? They aren’t retro, but they’re not really “modern” either

• the16bitgamer@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

For me its about 10 years after release. “Retro” is just old and cool and a lot of games are now old and cool.

So for me the PS3/360/Wii is transitioning into retro.

• InfiniteFlow@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I know this isn’t popular nor what most people would agree on, but to me retro is pretty much synonym with 8 bits (maybe some early 16bit) and the arcades that were around at the time. May have to do with me being old, but I think it is more because I felt a shift in look & feel, from sprites, pixel art, side scrolling, moving room to room, etc. to a more “modern” feel, with 3d models, etc. of course now we have a bajillion more polygons, shaders, ray tracing, but it is just a change in degree of the same thing.

Of course you still get games nowadays that look retro, but it is done out of artistic choice, not necessity. The constraints of the old platforms led to truly inventive solutions.

• breadcodes@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Anything last gen or older. Retro doesn’t mean ancient. I have everything from the Atari 2600 to the Wii U in my retro collection.