I understand the intent, but feel that there are so many other loopholes that put much worse weapons on the street than a printer. Besides, my prints can barely sustain normal use, much less a bullet being fired from them. I would think that this is more of a risk to the person holding the gun than who it’s pointing at.

• Flaky_Fish69@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

an Ender 3’s print quality is too low to reliably handle any of the critical components, even for one or two uses. something like the defcad AR lower receiver (which is for some odd reason designated as “the firearm” under ATF regulations…) can absolutely be printed, but not reliably by an ender 3- at least not a stock ender 3. (the defcad team was using resin printers for the dimensional accuracy.)

in any case, you can go to any big box hardware store, drop around 30 bucks in plumbing parts and some quality time with a dremel will produce a fully automatic firearm. should we now regulate plumbing hardware?

• trafficnab@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Someone assassinated the former Japanese PM with a block of wood, two small pieces of pipe, and some simple electronics, and that was extremely advanced for an amateur hand crafted firearm

Spend enough time in the sticks as a teenager and I guarantee a pipe shotgun will basically materialize out of thin air at some point