I’ve recently learned that DDG does not follow its own guidelines for privacy. I’m curious what search engines people here would recommend. I would prefer a search engine that not only respects my privacy but also doesn’t hide or shadow ban content it doesn’t like. Any recommendations?

• Telodzrum@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Care to elaborate about DDG? If this is about the Bing thing from last year, that was almost entirely FUD.

• mrpants@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

How is sending user data to Microsoft’s ad tracking service FUD? That’s exactly what privacy preserving browsers are supposed to stop.

• Paper@lemmy.one
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Yeah. Every search engine makes a decision about what to show to you and in what order; it’s simply not possible to show you everything with equal priority. This means no search engine offers a truly neutral search, there can always be bias in it.

The only thing I’d worry about over other search engines was if Duck Duck Go was systematically removing search results based on keywords, like if they were trying to make it never show results about the Holocaust or Tienanmen Square or so on even when those are explicitly searched for, or to only show results on certain topics from a tiny handful of selected sources. But I haven’t seen any evidence to suggest Duck Duck Go is doing this.

• CatherineHuffman@burggit.moe
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 year ago

Yes, exactly, thank you.

Different search engines will “censor” different results to bring you whatever is, in their opinion, the most relevant information to your inquiry. That’s their job. To sort the nonsense from the relevant info.

• mrpants@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

How is sending user data to Microsoft’s ad tracking service FUD? That’s exactly what privacy preserving browsers are supposed to stop.