I am very interested in 3D printing and I want to get into it. What would be a good printer for a beginner that is also of reasonable quality.

I don’t want to make anything huge but I don’t want to limit myself to any size that’s unreasonably small.

Edit: Wow, you guys were all so helpful. While I haven’t made my decision I have a lot more to go off of, I’m gonna do a bit more research into it based on what you have all said.

• WxFisch@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

What’s you’re price range? For a solid option with a decent size I’d say a Prusa Mini. It’s big enough to print probably 90% of commonly printed models and is high quality with minimal tinkering required, but it’s not a cheap option.

• mrfusion2000@vlemmy.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

The thing about Prusa is, not only do they make good products, they also have fantastic support. They may be a little more expensive, but that support is also what you’re paying for. You can either spend a ton of time hunting for troubleshooting posts in random forums and communities where YMMV, or you can rely on the Prusa docs and resources.

Don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of great printers out there too, and many work fantastic right out the box. However, when you get in a jam (pun intended), there’s nothing more comforting than knowing a company has your back.

• Gashole711@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I second this. My first printer was a Mini and it’s fantastic. Once it got dialed in I haven’t had to touch it in 2 years. Work bought an Ender 3 and having used both, I greatly appreciate the Prusa more. You can’t go wrong with a Prusa. I will only buy them going forward.