There are a lot of reasons not to give them your money. They’re assholes to the maker community and they openly talk shit on a lot of their customer base. That’s beside the point, though, really.

It’s just not a spectacular option for hosting. In order to get a Rpi competitive with even the shittiest laptop from 7 years ago, you’re going to end up spending more than you would spend on a decent laptop from 7 years ago.

If it is a computer that turns on, it will likely function orders of magnitude better than an Rpi and won’t bind you to ARM architecture. My entire hosting setup was pulled out of a recycling pile for free. Install ubuntu/ubuntu server and enjoy yourself.

If you intend on spending any amount of money on this hobby, I cannot express enough how much I recommend against any of that money going toward a Raspberry Pi.

EDIT: A lot of you seem to be reading this as “Raspberry Pis are all nonfunctional” and getting mad about it. Don’t do that.

Edit 2: Good to see that all the stupid parts of reddit made it here

• Brad Ganley@toad.workOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

If you don’t want to be replacing sdcards every two weeks, you’ll need to add a hard drive with an enclosure which will also need power. You’ll also need an upgraded power supply for the pi. To deal with any sort of scale, you’ll need more than one in a swarm. If you don’t want them just out in the open air, you’ll either need to coat them or put them in cases. It just all adds up to way more than a $5 ebay laptop with a broken screen that has 20x the performance.

• Cold Hotman@nrsk.no
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

Yes, a little research shows there’s a lot less breakdown with certain brands while using the pi, like Sandisk. You only get Kensington’s at garage sales.

• jmshrv@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I have an SSD connected to mine which doesn’t need external power and runs fine off the “official” power adapter. The case I have isn’t the greatest (two pieces of acrylic and some stand-offs lol), but it costed 50p and gets the job done.

As for scale, you’re beyond a Pi at that point.

• rambos@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

I had the same, but it got corrupted eventually. It seemed it was working fine, but it was impossible to complete smartctl test. I believe that rpi cant handle peak power draw every SSD. That SSD was running fine for 3-4 months and before that I had one running for 2-3 years. I feel like its kinda random and depends on your luck