Greyjays in beta right now but it already looks like it has better data sovrienty than youtube, with easy access to other platforms as well.

• chemical_cutthroat@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Does this allow tracking for the purposes of ad revenue for each individual service? I know everyone likes to say, “YouTube fucks creators on ad revenue sharing,” and “real creators use sponsorships,” but new creators don’t have access to sponsorships. Sure, these old heads can get by on their nord vpn checks and whatnot, but if a new creator can’t utilize ad revenue to get off the ground, this is going to turn into an elites-only service.

Second, backing up all videos so that “even if they get deplatformed, you can still follow the people you want to follow” is gonna wind up being a haven for hate speech and bullshit videos. If I search for a key lime pie recipe on their app, and my feed is inundated with right wing nutjobs who also bake, then I’m still supporting the nutjobs, and I may not know if.

All in all, this seems very “hopeful” and “utopian”, but unfortunately, we don’t live in that culture, yet. If someone gets deplatformed for a perfectly valid reason, and someone else got deplatformed for their lisp, I’ll still have to see both of them if I use this service and I’m doing a broad search. I don’t want that. Moderation exists for a reason. I understand that it has gotten out of control, but the solution isn’t to burn the system down without a new one in place. You have to find a way to correct all of the problems, not just the ones that affect you and your channel.

• Desmond373@slrpnk.netOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

I completly agree with all your points.

Given it is a “beta” its possible some features like ads and better ways of policing users could be added at some point. I dont have high hopes as louis has supported ad blocking in the past.

What im really interested in is the massivly reduced friction this alows for switching platforms. If everyone decides that youtubes gone and done something bad, people can vote with their content and stop uploading content there without losing their entire following. Might finally get one of the peer to peer alternatives off the ground if enough people support it.

Monopolies are bad, having a single simple front end with a plethora of back ends might help.

• schmorp@slrpnk.netM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Okay, as I still get into moderating a community, I’ve had report about this not being permacomputing really, but it was late evening and I just half-stupidly clicked on ‘resolved’ - sorry reporter, I didn’t mean to do that and now I don’t know how to set it back.

I would tentatively agree that watching youtube on whatever platform is not strictly permacomputing, which is more about low tech stuff , but given there are comments here already, I’ll just leave this post here, like so many weeds in the garden that turn out quite useful.

Please keep it low tech!

• activistPnk@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

I can’t do videos with my connection so I can’t view what you posted but from the title I would say there are a few options: Invidious, Piped, and Newpipe.