Of course he’s going to say that, but somehow this is the first I’ve heard that Fede Álvarez is directing an Alien movie. It’s hard to be optimistic about a new Alien announcement lately, but I’m hoping this gets a treatment similar to Dan Trachtenberg’s Prey. It’s also a Hulu release so we’ll see.

• b000urns@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Imo, no. I’ve enjoyed all of them to varying degrees. Are they flawed? Yes. But certainly not bad. But when the first two films were as good as they were, some people will just never be happy.

• BitingChaos@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Prometheus made me angry at everything and everyone. There was such an interesting story there and it just seemed like every character did the wrong thing. Then the movie ended on what felt like a starting point of something incredible.

…and then Covenant comes out and just throws the entire Prometheus story in the trash and gives us a generic monster movie with yet another blue-balls ending that will never be resolved.

We’ll never get a complete story of Prometheus or find out what happens after Covenant.

“Flawed” is an understatement.

• b000urns@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Both Prometheus and Covenant do have poor quite third acts unfortunately, and killing Shaw was pretty lame I agree. But I have still watched them both a few times and there is some good stuff in there

• mostNONheinous@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Personally this is how I view Terminator flicks. Those fist two just destroy anything that comes after no matter how good it may be on its own.

• Varyk@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Yea, this is probably it.

I think the latter movies are actually too packed with lore, to the point it’s easy to lose the plot.

But there is a great yt channel, kroft talks about movies, Kroft Talks About Movies

that goes through the scripts, action sequences frame by frame, costume and design, what seems like designed inconsistencies in the set to hint at a consistent alien universe lore and taxonomy, It’s a very impressive analysis channel that has made me appreciate the both Prometheus and covenant much more.