"This is such a vivid problem, it’s a lot,” Vovchenko said at a roundtable with Russian senators, as quoted by the government daily Rossiiskaya Gazeta.

[Edit typo.]

• Joecool2087@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Did I read that story correctly? More than 50% of injured soldiers required 3 or more artificial limbs. And 90% of injured soldiers have returned to combat? That can’t be right!

• Skua@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

The paragraph between those two clarifies that “prosthetic devices” can include things like orthopaedic shoes. I’d assume that if someone does get, say, a leg amputated, then they’re in a wheelchair for a while and maybe have a brace on their other leg to help it handle being used more heavily while the patient gets used to using a prosthetic leg. That’s your three prosthetic devices there, even though there is only one limb amputated.

As for the 90% thing, though, I fully expect that that’s Shoigu lying. It’s Shoigu, after all

• rentar42@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

I’m sure that number would be lower if they had functioning medical infrastructure near the frontlines. Early treatment can make things much better.

War is always hell, but it gets so much worse when at least one side doesn’t seem to care about life. Not even the life of their soldiers.

• jaybone@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

This must make for a generation of Russians that really love Putin. Not that he’s going to be around for long anyway.

Or is the propaganda so strong that they don’t blame him?

• A2PKXG@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

I guess there’s a significant number of soldiers who are wounded, require medical examination, and are left to die instead.