fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

My 2 cents:

Simple, no domain required stuff:

More advanced, should pair with a domain:

• Nextcloud for your own personal cloud/calendar/etc: https://nextcloud.com/ - it won’t be blazing fast but it will work well, I had it running on a pi for a while.
    • Simple web hosting - the pi is great for hosting low traffic stuff like blogs etc.
    • notleigh@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Seconding Syncthing! You don’t need a rpi to get started, but it’s fantastic having it around as the always-on node you can use to sync multipe devices without them being online at the same time.

• kelvie@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Note that for Prometheus I think an SSD is practically required. It does not perform well with the eMMC, you’ll just get a lot of timeouts.

• blackjacksepp@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

True. Do you happen to know any lightweight alternatives? I’ve been wanting to check out VictoriaMetrics for a while but haven’t found the time…

• kelvie@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I’ve not looked, but I’m trying to look for something with an external DB next time I think.

• Whitt@lemmy.nz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Best is so subjective.

I am running pivpn, pihole, all the arrs, jellyfin, gitea and rundeck.

• Risky@lemmy.kiberness.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Jellyfin, I’ve run mine for a couple years now(ever since the pi4 came out) and it’s been great. The only thing to consider is turning off video transcoding, its not able to to transcode anything HD or over. Other than that, its great. I use it for videos and music.

• frankblack@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

What do you want to use it for? Like software dev or something to host like next cloud or whatever?

• rambos@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I had jellyfin, arrs, wireguard and a lot more, but adding nextcloud was too much for 4GB. It would start with 2.7 GB used, but building until it OOMs. Also rpi cant transcode, but its perfect for direct play. I upgraded my server to PC version once I had to upgrade storage. Running multiple disks from rpi requires extra cables, devices and then its not cheap small factor anymore :)

Now I have raspberry for 2nd pihole, 2nd wireguard, duckdns, upsnap (WOL) and filebrowser

• massacre@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago
    • Home Assistant
    • Minecraft ( gotta go with something like PaperMC server but even core server will run if you setup a drive on USB
    • PiHole (but as I commented elsewhere, it’s overkill and you can use Pi Zero’s for this easily).
    • OctoPi (3d Printing)
  • Zeitgeist117@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Currently using portainer to run

• freshrss
    • syncthing
    • samba share While plugged into an external 3tb expansion drive. I want to do more but i only have a 2gb version so im afraid i might be pushing it.

It honeslty depends on what you do and want. I use syncthing instead of cloud services to bavk up everything i need and because i play emulated games a lot on both pc and my steam deck i can essentially have cloud saves for them.

• DLBPointon@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I have 3 rpi4 4gb doing job that I use practically every day.

Pi-1

• wireguard

Pi-2 portainer agent

• bedrock Minecraft server

Pi-3 portainer main running omv6

• Kavita - amazing comic book organiser and reader
    • emby - Plex and jellyfish both crapped out, apparently due to library size corrupting the dB, emby is very nice though.
    • homepage - nice homepage for everything
    • paperless (5 containers!) - just installed document organiser
    • metube - great yt-dl web wrapper
  • julesiecoolsie@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

The raspi is either a small hacking tool, or a learning tool. It certainly isn’t ideal for things like nextcloud, but it is by far the coolest and most fun way to learn Linux and self hosted services. I ran emulation station, did nextcloud, pihole, pivpn, fail2ban, did robotics, learned python. I now use it for one thing - pivpn (Wireguard) and pihole to access my home network remotely

• dukk@programming.dev
      cake
      OP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I originally got it for some robotic projects, but ended up not needing it. Thought maybe I could put it to good use, so here I am.

• julesiecoolsie@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Setting up your own wireguard vpn at home is a great option. Look up pivpn. I recommend setting the port to 443 or network time (123) to spoof your traffic and have it work everywhere

• surfrock66@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

The pi4 especially is great for proof of concept or MVP testing, but I often migrate to VMs on my proxmox hypervisor once something becomes critical. I started Shinobi, pihole, and home assistant on a pi4.

• pacogens@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I have Adguard and Kavita on it.

Update: I forgot I have Wireguard too.