• Dyskolos@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Fair points. Yet those backdoors already exist for a long time now (prism et al). There are alternatives which are, and probably will be safer with the new laws. Maybe illegal then, but safe®. Also there are always zerodays to purchase.

Whomever uses whatapp and other typical murican company-messengers (or whateever else) is already under surveillance. Maybe just no yet in the EU.

Not saying it can’t get worse. It sure could.

Thanks for making your point clearer.

• thoughts3rased@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

You do realise data miners have been ripping WhatsApp to pieces to find traces of a back door for years right?

Nothing has ever come up.

I hate Meta as much as the next person, but when they say the messages are end to end encrypted they do mean it. Otherwise the backdoor would’ve certainly been found by now. Signal, iMessage and Telegram are the same.

Sure this isn’t true for anything like Twitter DMs but for the ones that are end to end encrypted nobody has found a backdoor.

• Dyskolos@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

You can’t be serious? WA got no US-Gov-backdoor? Yeah sure. I obviously can’t proove that they have, but i couldn’t think of a single reason why Meta and the likes shouldn’t neatly cooperate. Customers are sheeple anyway, they could name WA asshat-messenger and they’d still use it. They wouldn’t mind nor care. The gov (any gov) would surely show love.

Besides that it’s closed source. They say E2E. But can I verify?

So, you’re saying prism et al were just fakenews and govs don’t listen already? And it’s not just about those that really offer true, verifyable E2E?

Not that i would care about meta & the likes, i don’t use that shit, but I’d be glad if I’d be wrong.