Watched Louis Rossman today, and he’s part of the team behind a new app for watching online video content - not just youtube, but nebula, peertube, twitch and more.

adblock already integrated, works amazingly with a quick test on my end - it’s an app in the Lemmy spirit

(it’s got a paid model similar to winrar, you don’t have to pay - but they do want you to - opensource and all)

• ram@bookwormstory.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

So, I really want to be optimistic about this project. I love that it integrates multiple sources, that it lets you use different identities that are not attached to any of these services. I installed it and already paid for it even, because I love initiatives like this.

I think it’s unsustainable. In 5 years, everyone who’d use the app’s already paid for it, which means the devs have no incentive to continue to work, and funding dries up. When that happens, they’ll of course just let the app run until the plugins stop working. Nobody will be able to pick it up and continue development in an open forum because it’s not FLOSS.

My hope is they re-license it under a copyleft license later, but I’m not optimistic about that happening. With how things are now, it does appear to be doomed to enshittification.

• Valmond@lemmy.mindoki.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Yeah FOSS or FLOSS (your teeth ^^) is the only viable solution we have found that really works. It’s like Democracy IMO, criticize them all you want but that’s the only ones that works over time.

• Phlimy@jlai.lu
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

As long as Rossmann has a say in the ordeal I doubt it’ll enshittify. If it they can’t carry it anymore, I think they’ll re-license it.
      But in any case, I’m really glad to see effort toward this. Because I may be naive, but I think this will make viewers & potential devs aware that it’s possible to have a great experience consuming video without being tied up in Youtube’s basement, and I predict will inspire more FOSS in the same vein.

• OwlBoy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

You just described why subscriptions are rampant in the software industry.

We use to have upgrade pricing and paid major revisions for software. But things changed to progressive models. And then things like what you described came along over extended periods of time.

• ram@bookwormstory.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Yes, subscriptions are probably the closest there is to sustainable development in a proprietary framework