• Noit@lemm.eeOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

First standing-down announcement of the season that’s made me a little disappointed. I’m not Scottish and not a Scottish Nationalist, but we definitely need more young people involved in politics and it’s a shame that Black feels like she can’t stick around any longer.

Labour have been a strong second place in the elections she’s stood in, so maybe there’s an element of avoiding being kicked out? But I’d think he seat was still winnable.

• julietOscarEcho@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I can imagine it is seriouspy draining if you’re ernest and principled. The whole thing is a game to most MPs it seems. I’m seriously impressed that she tried but not surprised she’s burned out. With any luck she can come back and raise hell again later I life with more experience and wider backing. Likewise not pro-indy but definitely think her presence is a breath of fresh air.

• Figaro2x@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

The Paisley and Renfrewshire South MP cited safety concerns, social media abuse and unsociable hours as she explained her decision.

“I have also made clear that I have no desire to have a long career in elected politics, and as we approach the next general election, I will have been elected for almost a decade,” Ms Black said.

Save you a click