Democratic Rep. Rashida Tlaib refused to apologize Wednesday for saying on Tuesday that Israel is to blame for the hospital explosion that day in Gaza, an accusation that sparked political backlash against her from Republicans as Israel denies fault.

Tlaib joined thousands of protesters calling for a ceasefire in Gaza during a solidarity rally hosted by the left-leaning group Jewish Voice for Peace at the National Mall. She was visibly emotional, at times pausing her speech to openly weep and criticizing lawmakers who have not backed a ceasefire resolution.

• kaffiene@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Palestine <> Hamas Should we treat Israel like we would the hill top youth?

• hotdaniel@lemmy.zip
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

I never said they were the same. In fact, in all my messages, I’m explicitly against drawing that similarity. Israel has declared war on Hamas, whoever and wherever they are.

• kaffiene@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

I appreciate IDF bombs only striking Hamas fighters and leaving innocent Palestinians who are not being bombed, terrorised, starved, facing mass eviction and collective punishment (a war crime)

• hotdaniel@lemmy.zip
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Again, you have no solution. Your calls for ceasefire is simultaneously a call for Israel to return to the status quo of hundreds of rockets launched at them per day and the threat of constant terrorism festering just outside their borders. Israel won’t do that.

• kaffiene@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

Nice strawman you built up there. Dealing with Hamas doesn’t require indiscriminate bombing of Gaza. Most people in Gaza are not Hamas. Likewise, dealing with Hamas doesn’t require starving the populace, nor using white phosphorous nor indulging in collective punishment - again, all war crimes. If you think that Israel has a right to commit war crimes then we have nothing to discuss.

• hotdaniel@lemmy.zip
              cake
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 months ago

Who said the bombings were indiscriminate? Did I ever say most Gazans were Hamas? Have all the Gazans starved or are they still there? You can be outraged all you want, but Israel is going to defend itself from an existential threat at its borders. So long as Hamas remains in Gaza, Israel is going to seek them out with prejudice. It doesn’t matter how innocent the people are. Hamas is launching rockets at Israel from their kitchen window. Israel doesn’t have to let themselves be destroyed for Palestinians, like so many wish.

• kaffiene@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                8 months ago

Are the 5000 Palestinians killed so far all Hamas? The bombing is indiscriminate. That Gaza has no food supplies is a fact. Using white phosphorous is a fact. Collective punishment by the idf is a fact. These are war crimes and you are justifying war criminals. We’re done. I will not discuss with someone who justifies war crimes (for the record the actions of Hamas are equally unjustifiable for the same reason)

• hotdaniel@lemmy.zip
                  cake
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  8 months ago

No, but you have no idea how many of those deaths were indirectly caused by Hamas, for example, you don’t know how many died because they listened to Hamas propaganda and refused to evacuate, or they died because they didn’t evacuate and Hamas used their kitchen to fire rockets at Israel (war crime). You’re pretending the bombings are indiscriminate but you have no access to Israel’s military intelligence, so you must be going out of your way to view Israel poorly. You can be done with the conversation, but that just proves what I said from the very start, that those who call for peace for Palestinians are fundamentally ignoring the problems involved and essentially asking that Israel roll over and die. No, Israel exists and, so long as it does, it will defend its sovereignty. Both sides are bad, is a lazy copout, and a poor way to defend terrorism.