Why is it that I almost faint if I try to shit really hsrd?

• Kraiden@kbin.social
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

You’re pushing too hard. You should breathe through it, don’t hold your breath. Look into getting a step for your feet. We’re designed to squat, not sit, and getting your feet higher can get things to line up better internally

Relevant

• all-knight-party@fedia.io
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I just squat on the toilet seat straight up, if I’m at home. It helps, it really does, I swear by squatting

• JaffaBoy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

At work they had to put signs up to tell all the Indian workers who came to the UK not to do this as they were always breaking the loo seats! Better to get a step for your feet and get those angles better aligned.

• all-knight-party@fedia.io
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

Interesting, I’ve done it my whole life and have never broken anything, but I also weigh about 115 pounds, so my method is not for everyone, haha.

• RadiantXyz@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I agree but I am also genuinely impressed how many serious answers are here. When I read the post I was sure it was just a troll, but troll or not, there are so many people here to give good and based advice. It’s just great. We should keep it!

• SomeoneElse@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

It’s a bit of a shock to see so many serious/informative comments near the top isn’t it? But it doesn’t detract at all from my overall enjoyment of the site. They’res still funny comments, just not always at the top. It would be wonderful if lemmy grew large enough to have active communities to match the majority of subreddits, but not too large that it becomes hateful and hive-minded.

• The Menemen!@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Not so fun story: when I did my civil service in a hospital I once was called in a room from a patient, because the other patient from that room didn’t come out of the toilet. I found her in the toilet. She had a stroke while pushing really hard. She had asked for a laxative for days, but the physicians didn’t want to giver her one (don’t know ow why).

Tl;dr: Don’t push till you faint!

• amio@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Vagal tone, is the technical answer. A nerve (vagus) runs through your body and, among other things, slows the heart. When straining to “void”, you cause that nerve to activate more strongly. It’s also related to the Valsalva maneuver.

• animist@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Probably because you’re holding your breath in the whole time which cuts off oxygen to your brain, which is what causes fainting

• Johanno@lemmy.fmhy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Well that ain’t it. It happens within seconds. The other explainations with the nerve sound more readable.