• FaceDeer@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Actually, that sounds like exactly what I would be advising them to do in a situation like this. Reddit has been bloating itself with new features that nobody has been asking for because it keeps trying to turn itself into Facebook or Discord or whatever. If Reddit needs to become profitable I’d suggest cutting those and focusing entirely on what Reddit already does better than its competitors. Link aggregation and threaded discussion. Do just that, but do it better. That would allow them to shed some massive expenses both in technology and in staffing without impacting the income from its core business.

They didn’t do that and it’s probably too late now. I don’t know how Reddit would be able to shed its Imgur-like image and video hosting at this point, for example.

• btaf45@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Reddit has been bloating itself with new features that nobody has been asking for

Exactly. Almost all their “exiting new features” have been subtracting value and turning the site into shit. That’s why I left, not because I care about the API. I don’t understand why they kept paying people to make reddit worse. They should roll back their source code to 10 years earlier.

• Tashlan@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah, Reddit, like so many other websites, seems to have gotten into its head the idea that it wants to recreate the 90s AOL experience, but not in the fun way.