Lot of sales for 4th of july (and ongoing ones) where you can pay $10-$14 for a YEAR of a small cheap VPS. Usually only has 1GB of memory, but that’s plenty to play around with and learn. If nothing else, a good cheap ipv4 you can use for some port forwarding. There are lots of options, but I’ve used racknerd and ethernetservers which have been fine.

I have my own server at home, but I bought two small ones to start learning Ansible with in a risk free way. Eventually plan to redo my main server with a complete Ansible setup, really want to hop on that “infrastructure as code” train.

• XiberKernel@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

As someone who once had to work with Oracle databases and licensing as a part of their job, i will never willingly use another Oracle product.

• kalipike@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

ABSOLUTELY THIS. Same. I have to deal with Oracle and their Opera PMS platform which uses Weblogic, 19c, and a variety of other products and it makes me actively want to scream and light things on fire. If I can help it, you won’t catch me using another Oracle product if I can avoid it.

• stankbucket@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I thought the same thing when I heard about the free tier, but you have to remember that oracle cloud is distant 4th in the cloud race so they are trying to just get people to use their capacity. Oracle and free are rarely used in the same sentence, but I’ve had an instance running for about a year with minimal problems.