Harlan Crow (of the Clarence Thomas patronage scandals) donated the max individual donation ($3,300) to Cornel West’s campaign, which invited obvious criticism.

Text of his response on Twitter:

As an independent candidate and a free Black man, I accept donations within the limits of no PACs or corporate interest groups that have strings attached. I am unbought and unbossed. Despite my deep political differences with brother Harlan Crow (who is an anti-Trump Republican), I’ve known him in a non-political setting for some years and I pray for his precious family. I find it hypocritical for those who highlight his $3300 donation to my campaign but can’t say a mumbling word about the PAC-driven billion dollars to support the genocidal attack in Gaza sponsored by their candidate! I’m fighting for Truth, Justice, and Love! Onward!

Frankly, the pleasant words make this look much worse than just saying “if some asshole wants to send me money, I’ll keep it”. Sounds like someone he wants to keep on the good side of, but y’know they’re only political differences, not stuff that really matters.

• TheMauveAvenger@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Strange to compare the full-on movement Bernie brought with whatever peanut shells West is scraping off the floor right now.

• jimmydoreisalefty@lemmus.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Comparing how both are not willing to push against the status quo, they only go so far, we now know what works to help the movement and what does not.

Dr. West did leave the duopoly, so props for that.

Sanders went through 2016 and seemed to learn nothing. Then 2020 came by again and he stayed the same.

These are more harsh critics of him, on his actions and how he is just the dog of the democrats.