cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

I’d put food addiction under mental health issues which I did say I empathise with, but these are a minority of cases. Not every fat person is food addicted.

It is easy. There’s nothing hard about recognising that you’re overweight and then looking at the amount of food on your plates and saying “from now on I’ll have 20% less than that”, then weighing yourself a few months after that to measure your progress and adjusting the amount you eat further if necessary. You do not need a PhD in food science or biology, nor do you need the will power of the most mentally strong human that’s ever lived to be able to commit to eating a bit less.

• Fox@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

I’d put food addiction under mental health issues which I did say I empathise with, but these are a minority of cases.

As far as I know, it’s a lot more than just a minority, but if you have a source and information I’m not aware of, please share. Always eager to learn.

For the sake of our discussion, let’s assume you’re right and mental health reasons are just a negligible minority. There’s also an obesity pandemic going on right now in most of the (western) world. Has been for a while, I hope we can agree on that.

So, if there’s an obesity pandemic going on, but losing weight is simple and easy, and it’s not majorly mental health reasons, I gotta ask: Why are people overweight/fat/obese? Do you think people want to be fat? What’s your point here?

• XIIIesq@lemmy.world
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

I think most people want a fit and healthy body, but that many people are not willing to trade cake now, for that nice healthy body that might be a few months or more away.

I’m not really trying to make a point. I’m just saying things how I see them.

• Fox@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

many people are not willing to trade cake now

Honestly, I think it’s not about willingness. There are so many people who try and try and try but relapse over and over again. There’s a reason why diets are so popular (even if they don’t work long-term). It has become an entire market. Losing weight is not easy, because at the end of it all it is an addiction for most. It has nothing to do with willpower and whatnot. If that was the case, fat people would never achieve anything in life. And yet there are, for example, fat doctors. Studying medicine is hard as fuck and needs a lot of willpower. So what’s stopping them if not an addiction? Especially as doctors they know the havoc being obese wreaks. Being obese is not fun at all. If all that was needed was willpower, we wouldn’t have a pandemic on our hands.

I’m not really trying to make a point. I’m just saying things how I see them.

I know. And I’m challenging your opinion because I truly believe losing weight is simple, but simply not easy.

• lightnsfw@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Because most people are lazy and or stupid and don’t want to make the effort to do the things they need to do even more than they don’t want to be fat. Every single fat person I know over eats at every meal and is always snacking and even when they do try to diet they give themselves tons of cheat days and fuck themselves over. It’s as simple as eating less calories than you need but they can’t manage it because they’ve trained their bodies to expect them to be constantly cramming garbage down their gullet and if they don’t they’re hungry all the time which is apparently impossible to deal with for them because they have no willpower.

• Fox@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

It’s as simple as eating less calories than you need

Agreed. It’s simple. But simple is not necessarily easy. There’s a difference.

but they can’t manage it because they’ve trained their bodies to expect them to be constantly cramming garbage down their gullet

Sounds a hell of a lot like an addiction to me.

[…] lazy and or stupid and don’t want to make the effort […] cramming garbage down their gullet […] they have no willpower

Your entire response is filled with vitriol. You attribute a serious problem that has become a pandemic to an individual personal fault rather than acknowledge there might be a systemic problem, which leads me to believe that not only do you hate or despise overweight people, but you put them down to make yourself feel superior.

• lightnsfw@reddthat.com
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

It is almost always an individual fault. Just happens to be a fuckload of individuals who are faulty. Then they go online and make excuses for each other instead of trying to improve themselves. Why shouldn’t I despise them? If they lack the willpower to control their eating because it’s difficult what other failings are they going to be willing to forgive themselves for?

• TORFdot0@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Self-control is never easy. Especially when you let yourself indulge for years on end. It is a skill that has to be learned and continuously developed. That goes for having self-control in a diet, gaming, using drugs or alcohol, or anything else that is habit forming. It’s not easy but it is always achievable