• phx@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Authorities said the seized the elk meat was donated to the Stz’uminus First Nation, and that the majority of Watson-Harley’s fine would be given to the Habitat Conservation Trust Foundation

This seems a good way to go about it. I wonder if they do the same for animals that are destroyed (e.g bears too acclimated to humans) or killed in vehicular collision etc

• Pyr_Pressure@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I worked at a zoo and the conservation officers would sometimes drop off freshly killed deer or moose that were struck by vehicles but not too damaged (i.e. guts didn’t burst). They were the highlight of the week for the wolves and cougars.

• phx@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Did any of them learn to identify the officers or their vehicle?

“Hey guys, it’s that dude again. You know what that means!”

• laminam@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

In December 1897, mammalogist C. Hart Merriam named the species after his friend Theodore Roosevelt, then Assistant Secretary of the US Navy.[7]: 589  The desire to protect the Roosevelt elk was one of the primary forces behind the establishment of the Mount Olympus National Monument in 1909 by President Theodore Roosevelt. Later in 1937, President Franklin D. Roosevelt visited the region and saw the elk named after his relative.[8] The following year he created Olympic National Park.

TIL