• Let_me_smell_you@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’ve been studying Japanese for a few years. I was recently in Japan for about a month, and while I was able to read and understand a lot of what people were saying, I could barely speak. It was like my brain kept freezing up. It was frustrating, but I’m glad I got the opportunity to know where I’m at. I’m also starting to learn Spanish because I want to go to some South and Central American countries next year. For now, my goal is just to get the basics down.

• Lewistrick@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I have been studying Italian for over 10 years now. I started because I was going on vacation there and simply fell in love with the language.

I’m using Duolingo daily to keep my active knowledge up, and I’m subscribed to two Italian podcasts. In church, I read along on a Bible app.

It’s a bit of a routine but it’s also a bit of a drag, because I don’t get any real life practice. Last time I was in Italy was in 2018. I feel like I’ve come a pretty long way since then but I’d really like to test whether I can have a normal conversation.

• Severopol@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It’s ‘not going’ at the moment due to life events. I want to pick up Spanish and Russian again when I’m ready.

• DVD@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’ve been learning German since October. It’s gone fairly well, when I focus on it I improve very fast, but I have motivation issues and have plateaued, or maybe even regressed a bit in the past two months.

• DVD@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

The most important thing of mine for learning German is I keep a notebook of every word I learn. I have pages dedicated to nouns, pages dedicated to verbs, and pages for everything else.

I always put the article of the noun before the actual word to remember gender. For verb pages, it is set up in columns so I can write down each conjugation of it, which helps with memory even if verbs are conjugated the same way nearly every time.

This notebook is vital in remembering, studying, and looking over German words. I suggest everyone does it.

To learn more words, I’ll use Duolingo every now and then, though I’m not a fan ever since they’ve axed the old tree layout. I also use the [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-eDoThe6qo](Nico ist Weg) movies on YouTube that are made at each level of German, helps greatly. [https://www.youtube.com/@EasyGerman](Easy German) on YouTube is also fairly helpful. Besides that, I just try to interact with the language whenever I can.