This has been a sometimes fun, but most often infuriating discussion between my wife and I, as well as other family members and friends whenever we bring it up: which side of the bed is the front? Is it the foot end? The side where the heads are? Or are you a rebel and is it the side you get out of bed at?

• PineapplePartisan@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

There is no front. There are four sides to a bed

Head Foot Monster side Safe side

My spouse unwisely chose monster side early in our relationship and so I’ve been safe side ever since.

• A_Drusas@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I don’t think I’ve ever heard anybody refer to a front on a bed. There’s the head of the bed, the foot of the bed, the side of the bed, the top of the bed…

• Curious Canid@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

The front of the bed is the legitimate business the bed uses to cover up its illegal activities.

Slightly more seriously, I would say that if there is a front it would be the same as the foot, but I don’t think the term really applies.

• Traegs@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

The reason you can’t agree is because it doesn’t make sense to describe any part of a bed/mattress as having a front.

So just stop using “front” entirely.

You have the top and bottom, head and foot, and both sides. There’s no need for a front or back.

• Foggyfroggy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

There is a top and bottom, we know that much for sure. I say the 4 sides are equivalent so the “head” and “foot” depend on how one sleeps. No need to use front and back terminology which is better suited for something you can’t see over or around.

Reminds me of dorsal/ventral, anterior/posterior and rostral/caudal from anatomy. Maybe we need to define an anatomical position for mattresses.

Edit: When standing a mattress up, like during moving, the top and bottom may temporarily be re-designated front and back. Pivot!

• LaVacaMariposa@mander.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I think only when a bed is being moved does it have a "front’ and “back”, and it can vary on how you’re carrying it.

• zerbey@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Well the bit where the pillows go is the backboard, so the front would logically follow to be where your feet go. Now I’m curious what languages other than English have to say on the subject.

• May@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Well, there is such thing as a backboard, so the front must be the foot end?

• SCmSTR@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I think there’s two definitions, in priority order:

1. the most accessible side that you’re most likely to get in on, the side that’s facing you, or
    2. if there’s no walls and the bed is in the middle of a ballroom or floating in space, the head of the bed.