• Touching_Grass@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

Where can he go? Haven’t we turned every platform into profit seeking machines. Any places that could have supported this type of media got chocked out long ago.

• tilgare@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Unless John Oliver is next to get the can, HBO has always been a safe spot for true free speech, and he really pushes the envelope. But they may not have room in their schedule for two shows like his.

• HeyJoe@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Please don’t say those words out loud. That would be a travesty… I get nervous because he has already been doing this show for 9 years next month and that’s kind of getting into show ending territory.

• tilgare@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Shows like John Oliver could go 20+ years easily. If he’s happy and making the exact show he wants to make, I don’t see why he wouldn’t keep going. Bill Maher is on season/year 21. And it really can’t be that expensive compared to their other tent poles.

• Saik0@lemmy.saik0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

He’s doing it for fun at this point. He can post on Oddysea/Peertube/etc… and be completely out of just about anyone’s jurisdiction.

• Cethin@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

There are small independent news groups who I’m sure would be happy to have him. They don’t have their own streaming services, but could likely put his videos on their website or YouTube. The big issue is they couldn’t afford Stewart.