Are there any good tools for listing your current programs, maybe exporting settings etc. Listing hidden settings and save locations would be great too.

I’m about 90% ready to switch to Linux full time, and I want to make sure that I’ve got everything. I’ve got a horrible feeling that I’m missing something, but I can’t think what it might be.

EDIT: Ironically, I forgot to mention my ADHD / memory issues. I could do with a tool like this because I forget about anything that I’m not currently using, or actively thinking about using soon >.<

• pistapopper@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

My 2¢: Pick a free time, make a small list of tasks that you do in Windows and spend time diving into what options exist for doing that in Linux (usually there will be multiple). The aim should not be to remember how to do it (less memory used 😁) but on figuring out menu structures, terminologies, etc. While going through your lists, you’ll end up familiarising yourself with (hopefully) gimp, the terminal, libreoffice, etc. You’ll hopefully also develop some tricks for searching for information on stackoverflow, GitHub, or in the various forums. That should help resist the urge to just switch over to Windows, and find a solution quickly.

It will take time. Sometimes, things will just not make sense - but finding solutions to problems is (probably) what is making you interested to begin with. Don’t look at it as a decision, more as a journey to start.