If I choose to drive on anything except the freeway, I get told the road is closed, drive it anyway (the road is, after all, not closed) and spend the entire journey with a mapless screen. Great 4G+ reception the whole way. Happens all over NSW. Weird.

• JasSmith@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Don’t use Apple Maps. Use Google Maps. It gets it right far more often. I still haven’t forgiven Apple for sending me on a Sydney motorway toll road loop. I know Apple Maps looks better, but that’s useless if the directions aren’t reliable.

• Thisfox@sopuli.xyzOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Google Maps, not shown, had exactly the same problem. It repeatedly told me to turn around and tried to direct me onto a freeway (out of my way, but theoretically a possible route, I guess) and then it told me the road was closed, then got lost and decided we were nowhere. We still had coverage, and the downloaded map remained, but we weren’t on it.

Google maps does not know Newcastle, incidentally. It has repeatedly sent me on circular loops around my destination in Newie, and insists the tip has an entrance that doesn’t exist, among many other inconvenient wild goose chases. It’s fun to use, but gets massively unreliable outside Sydney. I cannot trust it, so I have both and check both when starting out.