This is an automated archive made by the Lemmit Bot.

The original was posted on /r/AmItheAsshole by /u/Mangostina on 2023-07-05 19:14:35+00:00.

Hey y’all,

So I’ve been dating this guy for a while now - about 8 months of actual dating time but we’ve known each other for almost 2 years.

My name is Kelly and I’d say about 1/3 to 1/2 of the time he says my name lately, he’s started calling me Kelsey. He notices when he does it, started out saying he didn’t know why he was doing it, and I was like yeah I don’t love it when you do that. So he knows it bothers me.

But it’s continuing to happen and now his response is “yeah it’s not a big deal at all, Kelsey is way more of a common name than Kelly so it’s just a slip of the tongue. I’m not going to lose sleep over it.” He’s saying it is not a priority for him at all to get my name right, because the difference isn’t important to him.

My reaction when he does it is just kind of sad or miffed facial expression, I don’t throw a fit or anything, and he catches it himself and comments on it himself. So I don’t feel like I’m forcing him to get super defensive. He’s young, no health or memory problems, no speech impediments or accents, etc.

It just feels like a bummer when the guy you’re spending so much time with and into doesn’t care to make sure he’s getting your name right… am I the asshole here?