Its now running on a dedicated server with 6 cores/12 threads and 32 gb ram. I hope this will be enough for the near future. Nevertheless, new users should still prefer to signup on other instances.

This server is financed from donations to the Lemmy project. If you want to support it, please consider donating.

• BajakLaut@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

The server has become more responsive definitely. I thought my internet routing was so shitty that it took so long to load the site. Nice!

• SamRaimisOldsDelta88@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I just want to say, you all are doing a great job. Maybe I don’t fully understand it yet, but I have created some communities on the lemmy.ml instance and I don’t really want to move away. Is there anything I can or should do? I think that I’m currently locked in here.

• mst@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This new machine is speedy! Getting pretty much instant loading times. Thank you to the donators, I will be joining you soon!

• ahimsabjorn@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Please know that your work is genuinely appreciated in fascilitating the migration from Reddit to Lemmy. Your efforts will hopefully ensure a bright future for communities on this platform. Kudos @nutomic@lemmy.ml !

• anugeshtu@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Thank you for your hard work! Although I kinda foresee for the future if Lemmy really would become the new “reddit” with such servers and millions of users, wouldn’t that also rise the server costs and ultimately make the hosts dependent on asking money for it, maybe by a paywall or by ads? I think to make this community really be “free” without any host responsible for spending a huge amount of money for servers, the best solution would be to make the actual “servers” be a p2p cluster. Unfortunately I’m not quite sure how to realize that without losing a huge fraction of the model if a lot of nodes (i.e., the actual users) are offline. Sorry, I’m just brainstorming.

• Dreyns@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Just started supporting this instance on liberapay, if other follow you’ll hopefully be able to upgrade the potato soon !

• Catsrules@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I was getting 502 Bad Gateway. When I pinged Lemmy.ml I got an IPV6 address. It disabled IPV6 on my local computer and now when I ping I get a IPV4 IP address it works now.

I am wondering if DNS is screwed up on the IPV6 network for Lemmy.ml.

Note. This could totally be something on my end, I really haven’t done much with IPV6 but it did solve the 502 Error so I might do the same for you.

Edit. I had a few people say turning off IPV6 on their end fixes the 502 Bad Gateway, so it looks like it has something to do with IPV6.

• Techviator@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Thanks for mentioning the IPv6, I’ve been banging my head all day trying to figure out why I kept getting the 502 yet no one was complaining anywhere and isitdown was showing the server as Up.

I forces my DNS to resolve only IPv4 for lemmy.ml and now I can use it.

My suspicion is that nginx is misconfigured and not listening via IPv6. Or maybe the AAAA record is pointing to the wrong IPv6 address.

@nutomic@lemmy.ml Thanks for upgrading the server!

• nutomic@lemmy.mlOPM
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

You are right, I forgot to configure IPv6. Will be fixed shortly.

Edit: Should be fixed now.

• kekt@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Thanks for your work on this site. It feels very promising and a great place to migrate to. Reddit is about to hit their digg/myspace moment.

• taj@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Congrats! I was hoping that’s what was going on!!❤️