I’ve mostly left reddit and switched to beehaw, but I posted on somewhat of a niche tech-related subreddit today since there really isn’t a community for that here yet. And wow, I got instantly downvoted twice and the first comment response was rude and hostile. All I posted was a feature suggestion for software that I thought would be useful and that a good amount of people would like based on other feedback I’ve heard. This is not the sort of topic that should be controversial or aggravating, and it wasn’t like I made an ignorant post suggesting a feature that already existed or otherwise wasn’t well researched.

This type of instantly hostile response has happened numerous times on reddit for various different topics, but I just haven’t posted for a while, so I forgot just how shitty it can feel. It makes me really appreciate how friendly and respectful the community is here on Beehaw and on Mastodon. People seem to have good faith in one another similar to how the internet used to be in the old days.

Have you had similar experiences with Reddit and similarly opposite experiences here on Beehaw/Lemmy?

• Parsnip8904@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I live in a poorish country and I’m not flush with cash either currently not being employed except some volunteering. I wanted to build a network server for a charity who were struggling with their internal services.

Over a period of six months I cobble together enough to buy a second hand mini PC. I couldn’t get a network card similarly because of shortages, so someone buys one from ebay US and brings it after a few months.

For some mystery reason, the card refuses to work with the PC. It’s detected but as soon as I push some traffic it results in a kernel panic. I spend a month looking at similar problems online and trying out different solutions. With no dice, I post on Reddit.

On the my first two tires, I get no replies and no one notices it because it doesn’t get any upvotes. Then I try another two subreddits and people just say that CPU/NIC sucks, just get another one.

This whole thing pretty much put me off from posting on Reddit after that.

• MoonRocketeer@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah the answer on Reddit is always “why not just buy the more expensive option,” which is always the most upvoted and least helpful suggestion.

• spaghettiwestern@beehaw.org
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yeah the answer on Reddit is always “why not just buy the more expensive option,"…

In one thread I pointed out that some car fees being proposed in California were highly regressive and would make life much more difficult for those who could least afford it. One guy said that wasn’t a big problem because they could just buy a new car. 😱