I was a happy Netflix user until 2018, before that I haven’t really pirated any movies (with very rare exceptions) for almost a decade but I recently started again. I’m was doing my monthly budgeting and realized I was paying for too many subscription services. Netflix, Amazon Prime, Shudder, Disney+, Hulu and Crunchyroll. My family likes to watch different types of content that is distributed on many different platforms.

I was never subscribed to these many services until a couple years ago. I was thinking which service I should cancel when I realized I had the option to cancel all of them this entire time. I’m torrenting again and I started saving a considerate amount.

The only service I’m paying for is Spotify which I think it’s fairly priced and offers all the music my family listens too (and it’s convenient). All the competitors pretty much offer the same content and that’s how streaming services should be.

I remember back in the day using eMule and BitChe (to look for torrents). Now I’m using Deluge as my torrent client and I I get my torrents from 1337x. What sites are you guys using?

• Virual@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

1337x is my favorite right now for TV/movies and Nyaa for anime. Between that and Usenet, I can get 99.5% of what I want.

I use qbittorent and Sabnzb for downloads.

Since you’ve been out of the piracy game for awhile you may consider looking into *arr apps (radarr, sonarr, prowlarr, etc). They can auto download movies/tv you want and format them in a way that Plex/Jellyfin like, so you can get a whole library of content with just a few clicks. There’s a bit of a learning curve to the setup though.

• Virual@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

It’s not so much that I can’t find things on torrents, it’s that I don’t have to worry about something not having seeders so it’s more reliable for old uploads. In addition I’ve found it to be better for single episodes, multiple release groups that I use seem to only use Usenet.

As for things that aren’t movies/tv, I think Usenet is better for slightly more obscure content, such as comic books.

• signs23@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I think it depends on the country and language content. If i want german movies, i dont find them on torrents.

Torrents are kind of risky here and usenet seems to be far safer. So a lot of uploaders use OCHs or Usenet.