• agent_flounder@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

I hear this over and over but I don’t think it’s universally true.

For me, when I was still a believer, I thought and said (at one point) that religion was needed for morality only because I didn’t think too hard (as is true for many religious folk) and also because if people could be decent and moral without religion it called into question some fundamental tenets of Christianity.

At some point not long after I said this to someone, who called me out on it, I realized this idea was stupid and was easily disproven by the many good, non-religious people I knew. That was one of many realizations on my path to deconversion.

Another was encountering religious people who seemed not to have any empathy (or who had been brainwashed into having none). So probably some make that claim who are sociopaths. Anyway I was horrified by some of the statements and attitudes and that prompted further thinking.

• Obi@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

You said “this isn’t true” but then went on to agree with the other comment. Just sayin’.

• Akagigahara@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Noticed that. After I finished reading their comment, I think they meant they hear the “There is no Morality without Religion” often

• TheSanSabaSongbird@lemdro.id
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

No, they said that someone could believe that morality without religion is impossible not because they are a sociopath, but rather because they haven’t thought “too hard about it.”.