link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

I built my computer on my bed. It’s not a big deal. If its ESD damage you’re woried about then you need to know that the risk for the average person is way overblown. I used to work in an electronics plant where doing in depth ESD audits was a regular part of my job. We has ESD coatings/mats on the floors, ESD coatings/mats on the tables, ESD bags, ESD carts, ESD trays, a 3D printer with ESD resin for making tooling, ESD smocks, ESD training for all employees, wrist straps, foot straps, humidification systems, and daily testing of all equipment. I still just built my computer on my bed. ESD damage is only really a big concern when you’re doing mass production of electronics where things are being repeatedly handled and the rare failures will actually amount to something. If you’re just working on something on your own then most ESD measures aren’t worth it. Just be sure the first part of the component you touch is a ground plane and touch the case before doing anything inside it. If you do that then you’re fine.

• Popozuda52@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I agree, 99% of the time you’ll be fine but… I have had a bed sheet come out of the dryer with so much static that once it was on the bed you could move your hand over it and see spark discharges like mini lightning. Freaked me out, was late enough that at first I just noticed a weird faint blue glow.

• Fosheze@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

At the same time though I once arced nearly 2000 volts at 10mA directly through an IC multiple times before I caught it due to some fucked up wiring durring a hi pot test. The IC was still perfectly fine afterwords and passed all tests. Of course I still replaced it because there’s no way I would ship that to a customer. But you would be surprised by the amount of abuse modern electronics can take.

Static is definitely easy to come by but the odds of it actually doing any harm are very low.

• Stilicho@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

It’s free anyway. Probably no ESD damage either. People always overexaggerate the risk of it.

• gballantine@lemmy.bitgoblin.tech
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m not sure I follow the “Oh No” bit of this picture - did someone unbuild your PC and list it for free?

Other than that I have no clue lol.

• zahel@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Generally putting pc parts on fabrics like a bed is a no-no because such fabrics can have static buildup and shock your parts, damaging them

• farseer@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Not sure what’s happening in this image. Everything looks fairly normal to me. Does “free” mean that the parts aren’t working? Does it mean the computer was stolen then listed? I think OP is going to need to explain.

• A_Random_Idiot@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This isnt 1973. Things are not nearly as fragile as they once were. I cant tell you how many times I’ve built computers on beds and carpets, with nary a single issue.

• Entheogen@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I do full PC teardowns for my watercooling maintenance once or twice a year.

Usually in pajama pants and socks.