• linucs@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I felt the same way but then I read this and changed my mind about it https://blog.joinmastodon.org/2023/07/what-to-know-about-threads/

Thinking about it I’m in an European country where Whatsapp is the default messenger app, if it had interoperability I could be on another FOSS app and be tracked by Meta just when I talk to people who are on Whatsapp and be free when talking to people not on Whatsapp, this could be great to make people switch “clients”, which is damn hard now because “everyone is on Whatsapp”. Interoperability is the shit and we should embrace it!

• Irisos@lemmy.umainfo.live
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

In addition, Facebook already had support for XMPP at some point in time but killed it.

Why? Because they couldn’t dry users off other platforms after Google closed their own support for XMPP.

Even if Meta “play nice”, we already know their aim. Siphon users off mastodon and then remove activityPub support when most servers are on life support from loss of users.

• fuckyou_m8@lemmy.fmhy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

We have interoperability for emails but most people use gmail/microsoft , so you could be tracked even if you use protonmail

• linucs@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Not if I’m talking to someone on Protonmail, Tutanota, etc.

Now would you prefer to have the possibility to talk privately at least to someone, even if just a handful of people, or be forced to never talk privately because you must use gmail to talk to anyone else?

• fuckyou_m8@lemmy.fmhy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

Yes, but like I said, most people won’t be on those services so they will be able to collect most of your data anyways.

Here at least on Lemmy is even worse, because they can get everyone’s data even if you never access theirs instance or they could simply create a shadow one to get the data without anyone noticing

• linucs@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

It’s not clear, are you saying that since they would get most of my data (which is an already flawed argument since for example now I have my partner, best friends and family on Signal which are 95% of my conversations, as opposed to 5% of people whom I talk to on Whatsapp) I should give them all of it?

The second point doesn’t even require to have Threads, they could already do that, now what?