RE Engine: Monster Hunter, REMakes, DMC. All run beautifully

Idtech: Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal are super optimised on low end hardware

Then you have Unreal Engine 5 which needs top end hardware to run (Remnant 2, Lords of Fallen) and

Gamebryo/Creation which still has bugs from Morrowind in Starfield.

Not sure if related but City Skylines 2 needs several times $$ investment for slight improvements over Cities 1 on Unity

Now a splash screen either makes me smile or cringe. Just wished everything ran RE engine

• spacebirb@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Nah this isn’t true. If you gave the devs a free month I’m sure they could optimize the hell out of things. The issue is there are deadlines and higher priority items. You can technically play cities 2 unoptimized at a lower fps and graphics setting, you’ll have a much worse time playing it if features are incomplete and full of bugs.

They simply didn’t have the time to get to optimization

• bouh@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

That’s quite true. A friend told me that the red engine from cdpr is one of the most efficient and we’ll made engine today. It didn’t surprised me because cdpr has been working on it for 2 years after cyberpunk failed to meet the technical requirements they sold it for.

That’s what it takes now for an optimized engine: 2 years on a decade old engine.