The eccentric far-right populist Javier Milei has failed to win the first round of Argentina’s presidential election, with the centrist finance minister Sergio Massa unexpectedly beating his radical challenger.

Supporters of Milei, a potty-mouthed political outsider described as an Argentinian mashup of Donald Trump, Jair Bolsonaro and Boris Johnson, had hoped he was heading for a sensational outright victory similar to Bolsonaro’s shock triumph in Brazil in 2018.

• cikano@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Since I’m rather uninformed on the topic, what would you consider him instead?

• rbhfd@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I’m not familiar with Argentinian politics. What would you call him?

Most things I read the last few days called him left wing. But things get fuzzy calling people/parties left/right, especially across different continents.

• driving_crooner@lemmy.eco.br
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

They’re kinda center/left. For anyone right, They’re basically communist, and for anyone left they are neolibs who co-opted social issues to keep the economic status quo on place.

• aliteral@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Wait, if you were speaking about Massa… Oh boy, that is a hell of ride. He is center right. Peronism is kind of a mix of different pokitical ideologies mashed into one that works because tries to keep extremism to a minimum. And because they are very good user of demagogia and political oportunism. They’re not leftist. Some would say they are similar to US Democrats.

• aliteral@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

A POS? Okay, maybe that just my marxism speaking, but he is a right winger. Socially conservative, economically ultraliberal. And that is usually not a really good combination. Add to that that his party is filled with Plan Condor denialists and apologists and you have quite a cocktail to drink there. For us leftist, he’s like Videla all over again (but without the power ofc)

• MataVatnik@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Watching Americans become interested in Argentine politics for the first time in my life feels wild, like, they have no fucking clue but they care so much. I’m enjoying it ngl.