Squadron 42 is the single player campaign of Star Citizen, that is supposed to launch as a separate game. It’s basically a small portion of Star Citizen, but with a story and ending. I’m still not confident; waited too long for that.

• ninjan@lemmy.mildgrim.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Wouldn’t it just be perfect irony if they run completely out of money before managing to release something/anything? Though with how many people put in money over and over even though progress over the years has been slow to say the least I guess the more likely outcome is nuclear holocaust putting a damper on the release schedule.

• Derin@lemmy.beru.co
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I still remember being in college and hearing people in the lab next to me excitedly proclaim that they were able to pay $100 for a rare ship that has X Y Z features including handling, top speed, and fashionable interiors.

They weren’t able to use the ship yet, but oh man was it a great investment for when they’d one day be able to ride them.

So fucking bizarre. But, if you have people out there thinking like my then peers, you’re guaranteed to have a long term stream of income based on loose promises alone.

• PenguinTD@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

They lost me like exactly after I put in money and started the insurance idea. I regret heavily putting money directly to the main site instead of kickstarter, at least I might have chance to get a refund or something since the pitch content changed.

• interolivary@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Haven’t they made close to a billion dollars when counting the Kickstarter, starter packs sold via the website, and the “microtransactions” for things like ships (which are more macro than micro with the prices often being way over 100€)? I doubt they’ll run out of money any time soon, although hookers and blow definitely aren’t free

• P03 Locke@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Scientology has been running strong from their grift for decades.

They are going to eventually run dry when they’ve burned through every ounce of their reputation. But it’s a long, long path of riches and broken dreams in the meantime. By the time it’s finally done, Chris and the other COs will have retired with their hundreds of millions, and they won’t care.