I found this article pretty interesting… it seems to contradict the current cooking zeitgeist

• uphillbothways@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

Just over 1 cup water to 1 cup rice (pretty much 1:1, plus the residual moisture from rinsing) for most white rice. 4 minutes at pressure, but probably comparable in practice. (have to wait for it to come to pressure and lose pressure after)

Really, it’s been about consistency for me, but I’ve only compared to a basic Aroma rice cooker. I really liked my rice cooker, but side by side the IP was just better. Seemed like the grains were more consistent all the way through, like the rice cooker grains had a bit of hardness/density at the center and weren’t as fluffy, from what I remember.

• Dkarma@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Interesting. I don’t have the hard in the center issue with my rice at all and it comes out the same way every time. What kind of rice do you use most? I use jasmine.

• uphillbothways@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

Jasmine and basmati, usually. Sometimes, calrose. Rarely, something else.

I never would’ve said it was hard centered per se by itself, just in comparison. Before trying rice cooked both ways side by side, I really liked my rice cooker. But, after getting the pressure cooker, then trying both freshly cooked, this was my impression.

But, it’s been years since I switched over, now. I remember looking into it (the Bacillus cereus issue also came up in reading), comparing, and finally getting rid of the rice cooker as the pressure cooker could do more, better.

• Dkarma@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

I’m so hesitant to buy an IP cuz I don’t need another kitchen device. Maybe I will when the rice cooker dies.