That’s it. If you haven’t played Sleeping Dogs, do it. Easily one of the best games I’ve ever played. Great art direction, the best driving I’ve seen in an open world game, and combat that makes Arkham look incomplete.

• LGOrcStreetSamurai [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

That game brought a lot of life to a rather stale genre (especially at the time). Doing that sort of Hard-boiled Shanghai action movie stuff was a lot of fun. Yes Wei Shen is a cop blah blah blah, but it was just a great high-octane sort of beat ‘em up meets GTA clone.

• LeylaLove [she/her, love/loves]@hexbear.netOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I mean Wei Shen being a cop works pretty well for the story imo.

SPOILERS

It’s implied that Wei is barely even a cop, and just did all of this so he could kill Dog Eyes. I like the way the game positions the police as villains in the story. Most of the Sun On Yee are portrayed to be good to morally ambiguous, while the cops are shown to be more questionable than the Sun On Yee. Whenever Pendrew starts moving in on the Sun On Yee, Wei is shown to side with his people to hide shit. He’s a cop, but he’s shown to have entirely his own motives that are entirely extrajudicial, Wei is the least corrupt cop but he’s shown to still be corrupt as fuck. Dog Eyes being hung on a meat hook is a worthy ending for such a piece of shit and Wei has every right to do it. But it’s objectively an abuse of Wei’s police power. I like their portrayal of police corruption, whether it was intentional or not

• LGOrcStreetSamurai [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Very much in agreement with you! Wei Shen is really a great character to show the criminality of both sides of the law. Games also does a good job (especially for a mid 2000s action game) of showing that the very idea of “undercover” is a deeply flawed concept. Wei Shen couldn’t really change the Yun On Yee from the inside as much as any well meaning coo can do on the flip side.