I say home cooked because with prepackaged masa it’s literally “add water” to prepare. It doesn’t take very long to make but since the flavor of the mass produced masa is very similar to some premade corn tortillas I usually only make them when I’m out of premade tortillas. In my opinion azul masa does have a better flavor, so I wonder if a less refined masa or even homemade masa may have better flavor.

• zeppo@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I don’t really have the capacity to make my own, but there is a company in Portland who makes masa from heirloom corn (Three Sisters I think?) and it’s definitely more flavorful than Maseca.

• fujiwood@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction! I just found their website and it seems they also sell a diy kit for making your own masa. They don’t ship fresh tortillas or masa since they are perishable. I don’t blame them. If the whole point is to make a better tortillas you should probably make everything the same day.

• zeppo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Yeah, their masa comes wet like dough, so it’s sold in the refrigerated section. The kit sounds cool! I’ve met them at a farmer’s market and they seemed like good people.

• fujiwood@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Thanks for that insight and tips on making homemade masa!

You’re right it does sound like a lot of work but I wouldn’t mind trying it at least once or making it in a few times a year. Both for the flavor but also for the knowledge and experience of the process.

How long does it take for the corn to dry in the sun?