Hello!

I’ve been running into an oddity and i can not find the root cause.

Situation

I have installed OMV on my raspberry pi 4 4GB via: wget -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/master/install | sudo bash I also needed to use usrmerge before the installation: sudo apt install usrmerge

After completion, while being connected via ssh, i can query the omv website and it works fine: curl localhost

However whenever i try to access it via the browser, it does not. I have ran omv-firstaid as well just to be sure, but that does not change anything.

Network

My Network is connected via ethernet to a repeater (Fritzbox 4040), which in turn connects to the router via ethernet (Frityzbox 7490). Another repeater is also connected.

All are connected as a singular Mesh.

Question

I can connect via port 22 to my pi from anywhere in my house. It works fine and stable due to the mesh. However i can not connect to port 80 for OMV.

I’ve tried port forwarding on my network mesh, but that did not change anything.

I also tried for testing purposes a tunnel via ssh ssh -L 80:localhost:80 pi@raspberrypi.local but that resulted in a:

bind [::1]:80: Permission denied channel_setup_fwd_listener_tcpip: cannot listen to port: 80 Could not request local forwarding

Which makes me think it might be the network on the pi. However I am new to linux networking and therefor would like to ask for your ideas.

Any ideas on what could be cause?

Thanks in advance for the help!

• herrvogel@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Something is already listening on port 80 on the pi, which is why your tunnel failed.

Been a while since I set up OMV myself, but does it even use port 80? Doesn’t it expose its web UI on a non-standard port?

• TheWanderer@lemmy.mlOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

The issue was much more straightforward than i thought. It seems sometimes thinking of too complex issues will hinder finding the easiest cause - the local forewall on the pi was blocking it / had no explcite allow.

To check i did: sudo ufw status verbose

There was only port 22

I added the new port as Allow Port 8081: sudo ufw allow 8081

And it works now!