link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Nepalese Gurkhas will replace them

Why is it so fucking important that the people washing the clothes not be white

Why do the people washing the clothes need to be a specific ethnicity

• UlyssesT [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Why does the UK have a special caste of born special people that have special government protections simply because they were born special? 👑

• supafuzz [comrade/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

The United Kingdom, a place that never saw a contractor outsourcing arrangement it didn’t like, but which still uses a racial caste system for assigning jobs in the navy. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, sink that stupid island

• RyanGosling [none/use name]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Because usually white westerners tend to not be desperate enough to accept such shitty conditions and pay. Unless you’re polish, in which case British people will complain that not enough are slaving away in the UK. Also watch white lotus season 1.

• supafuzz [comrade/them]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

I expect immigrants are actually doing the laundry via 3 layers of subcontractors for the US Navy too, but it’s not like they’re stipulating that they have to be specifically Guatemalan or whatever

• UnspecificGravity
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

On ships laundry is done by enlisted men or in self-serve laundry facilities. I’m sure they use the 3-layers of graft off the ships though.

The US Navy is culturally very different from the Royal Navy going way back to its inception.

• charlie [any, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Correct. Through various means.

On the boats sailors do their own laundry, unless you’re an officer in which case your laundry is done by lower enlisted, and lower enlisted is comprised predominantly by minorities. The laundry folks also hustle on the side and will do your laundry if you pay them.

Pulling into port the Navy usually arranges some sort of pier side laundry service ran by whatever ethnic minority is being oppressed in that particular region.

Stateside there are laundry services on bases, and you pretty much nailed how they work.

• UnspecificGravity
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Yeah, but this isn’t a thing where a job is all brown people because they are who is in need of the work, these folks were specifically recruited BECAUSE they were Chinese and they are now replacing them with Nepalese people. These aren’t regular jobs in the Navy.

• Teekeeus [comrade/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Why is it so fucking important that the people washing the clothes not be white

To be fair anglos aren’t the most hygienic people in the world. I certainly wouldn’t trust inbred island teutons with my hygiene.

• Mardoniush [she/her]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

The Gurkahs (who serve in the UK due to a 19th century agreement) are also known for being extremely competent special forces and mountain infantry so this is some Stevan Segal in Under Siege bullshit.