• solstice@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I agree she is obnoxious and that famous speech at the UN is so cringe it’s hard for me to watch. I also agree with the message overall, and I’m pretty much a single issue voter now on climate change. Blockading an oil port (?) isn’t the way to go about it though. We need to make alternatives better, cheaper, and more affordable than oil. That’s the only way to get people to change. That’s the only way to change things on a massive scale.

All the downvotes against you are dismaying. I think people hear ‘Greta bad’ and assume you enjoy dumping oil in the arctic and killing baby seals as your weekend hobby. It would be cool if we could discuss these things without going straight to each other’s throats.

• nexusband@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I agree she is obnoxious and that famous speech at the UN is so cringe it’s hard for me to watch. I also agree with the message overall, and I’m pretty much a single issue voter now on climate change. Blockading an oil port (?) isn’t the way to go about it though. We need to make alternatives better, cheaper, and more affordable than oil. That’s the only way to get people to change. That’s the only way to change things on a massive scale.

That’s pretty much one of my points as well. There are also other things that can and have to be done, we’ve fucked up pretty royally and need to be doing stuff ASAP - but not through force. We need everyone to do it and we can’t afford the different “camps”.

All the downvotes against you are dismaying. I think people hear ‘Greta bad’ and assume you enjoy dumping oil in the arctic and killing baby seals as your weekend hobby. It would be cool if we could discuss these things without going straight to each other’s throats.

Pretty much, yeah. I’m by no means right on everything and some ideas are stupid (still, they should be done to get everyone on board), but no discussions i one of the biggest issues we have in our societies right now.

• solstice@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

And now here we both are now sitting at “scores” below zero. I was really hoping Lemmy wouldn’t bring reddit’s rabid overzealous hateful groupthink with it. It would be really nice if we could discuss this like adults but no, I guess we should go fuck off and die instead.

• nexusband@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

We get pushed in to the “Right” corner. Which is utterly stupid and could not be any further from the truth…(at least in my case)

• solstice@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            1 year ago

What’s that line from big lebowski, you’re not wrong, you’re just an asshole? I think that applies to greta and other so-called climate activists. Sitting in the road blocking people from getting to work isn’t going to win the hearts and minds. Blocking oil tankers isn’t going to stop people, businesses, governments, etc from using oil. It’s just super childish and naive to think otherwise.