I’ve no problem with using LibreOffice for most of my document needs, but i haven’t found a good substitute for microsoft’s OneNote yet. I mainly use it to plan my RPG games and it helps a lot. What alternatives are there for organizing notes on linux, with similar features to those that OneNote provides?

• BarqsHasBite@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

You might want to explain the features of OneNote, particularly the exact ones that you want. I get the impression that most people don’t know its organization structure.

My short input: it’s not just note taking. It’s has a tiered level of organization for the notes to categorize and quickly move about. The example I read was like it’s set up like you have multiple binders, with dividers in each, and pages (notes) within those. The page is very open ended, you can add text boxes in any spot, mixed with pics in any spot.

• Jorgelino@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Your input is very accurate. Being able to write notes freely anywhere on the page, draw on it, attach images, links, etc is a big part of it, but one of the most important things to me is organizing different pages into dividers/binders like you said.

I set up various sections for quests, locations, npcs, etc, for my rpg worlds, and need it to be well organized and be able to link to different sections within the same binder. I also like to color code everything.

• kent_eh@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Thank you.

We are encouraged to use the Microsoft office suite if tools at work, and I still haven’t figured out how to use OneNote to improve my life.

• ellabee@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I use onenote at work for all my notes. tabs and individual pages let me organize things so nothing is too long to scroll and find what I need. I can put text, screenshot, and hyperlink (to another part of one note or outside link), and a link to a pdf or excel file. I can add check boxes to whichever line items.

once I’ve got a nice set of notes, I can share either the entire notebook, the section, or just that page with the next person. or if they’re a bit of a luddite, I can print it out and maintain format (mostly). the most recent version broke emailing a page, but if you’re still running an older version of one note, it embeds it, with formatting, without being a pdf.

got something you need to paste in all the time? I’ve got one page where each text box is one copy/paste comment. clicking the header automatically selects all the text in just that box.

like OP, I tend to use one note at home for D&D, but if I can find something just as good I’m happy to try it. work leaves me with MS Office.