I’ve been jumping between password managers for a bit and I feel like sooner or later I’ll end up with iCloud Keychain, but currently I’m still sticking with something else because it only supports logins (website, username, password has to always be there).

For people already using it, where do you put your non-password stuff? PIN codes, software licenses, memberships, etc.

• Nefarious Aryq@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

When I decide to leave 1Password, I looked at numerous options. I wanted to go all-in with iCloud Keychain, but I just couldn’t because I have way too many non-password secrets that 1Password used to handle well. What I ended up doing was splitting things up. I moved passwords to Keychain, since I use Safari everywhere and browser save/fill works great. Then I decided to go with keepass for my non-password secrets. Keepass is an open standard, and there are many different apps that can read the format. I went with Strongbox because it has NATIVE apps with good reviews on both Mac and iOS, which I needed. Strongbox syncs my encrypted database via iCloud, so everything stays in sync no matter where I am. Strongbox does support browser autofill, but I can’t speak to how well that works or not. Ultimately my long-term hope is that Apple gives us a full, proper Keychain app on iOS and I can move over entirely… but for now I’m perfectly happy with this solution.

• fer0n@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Hm, that might actually be the way to go. Tbh the non-logins are definitely in the minority for me and I‘m probably not using them too often. It’s just slightly annoying to have everything in two places, but might still be worth it. Thanks :)