• MrPear@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

As they should. The earlier you start with scripting, the more time you can save by spending hours on writing a script that saves 2 seconds of time.

• cynar@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’ve got the quantum physics for babies book, for my daughter. It was actually impressive how far they simplified it, without loosing the essence. My daughter also loved the simple, colourful pictures.

• Judgy_McJudgerson@latte.isnot.coffee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I’ve seen that book! As a teacher, I love that you got it for your kid! Reading to your children is super important to helping me help you both. That book is going to give her a great vocabulary start and she will make great connections in math and art. Thank you!

• cynar@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

She’s actually just about to start school. She loves reading (or rather being read too!) and is a complete infovore, with the intelligence and vocabulary to match. She’s not quite reading yet, but not far off.

I’m trying to decide if “Bae Wolf” is too advanced still, or whether to give it a go.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

That’s awesome! I’m not familiar with that book, but I’m sure it doesn’t hurt. About to start… so 5-ish years old. I recommend books by Nick Selk, also known as The Awkward Yeti. He makes comics, like Heart and Brain, about the body and other science topics. The Sun Is A Big Deal, The Brain Is A Big Deal, and Onward To Good Things are three child friendly ones. I adore his comics too.

https://www.theawkwardstore.com/collections/books

Enjoy! And happy reading!

• cynar@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

The awkward yeti books are tempting, though expensive. We’ve actually got 3 prints from The Awkward Yeti on our walls. Apparently I’m the heart, mummy is the brain, and she is the butterfly.

Bae Wolf is a rewriting of Beowulf, written by Zach Weinersmith, author or SMBC. It’s done for children, but in a modernised version of the original writing style (epic poem/sage, using modern language). It’s 208 pages, and aimed at the preteen+ age range.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

Lol yeah. I’m the heart and my boyfriend is the brain. I love the wall calendar.

That’s awesome! Thanks for the info. :) I’ll have to look into that. I’m sure it would be fine to read it to her. It sounds like it would be similar to reading Lewis Carrol (the Alice in Wonderland author).