Poilievre first introduced the private member’s bill, C-278, last year when he was running for the party’s leadership.

It has since been picked up by Conservative MP Dean Allison, a noted anti-mandate critic who, like his leader, supported the trucker convoy that loudly opposed the government’s approach to COVID-19.

• LostWon@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

but we all know we don’t vote in parties in Canada, we just vote them out

I have wished for a long time that the parties would be disbanded (as they currently exist), so only their policy platforms would remain. I feel like only then would they cut the BS and end up more like think tanks that candidates are allowed to join and work with on policy ideas ONLY (i.e. NO campaign or marketing assistance; just publicly verifiable confirmation if candidate X signed off on policy Y).

Then candidates could go on the record saying if they align with party A’s economic platform on issue 1 and party B’s social platform on issue 2 (and be held to account), rather than coasting on vague party affiliations while answering as little as possible. There would also be actual room for debate because they couldn’t be whipped, and if they change their mind on an issue they’d be obligated to explain the reasoning.

I know this will never happen though because for generations, both Grits and Tories have found success by misleading voters, each in their usual way.