alt text

tweet by Johann Hari: The core of addiction is not wanting to be present in life, because pour life is too painful a place to be. This is why imposing more pain or punishment on a person with an addiction problem actually makes their addiction worse.

• Corkyskog@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Just expanding on why it won’t work. People often think you can just take a coca plant and stick it in Michigan or whatever soil and expect it to grow during the summer season. Or they think a greenhouse will magically solve the problem. You would need a huge grow operation and even with current illicit prices I am not sure you would make a profit with the amount of power it would take.

• Welt@lazysoci.al
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Coca needs equatorial latitudes and high altitudes, so even the Mexican mountains probably don’t grow it that well. I’ve long thought the New Guinean highlands would be a great place to grow coca. As for khat, it should be growable in the southwest US.

• abraxas@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I don’t know Coca very well, but I have known marijuana growers and the lengths they’re willing to go for their crops even now suggests to me coca could be profitable. I knew a guy a few years ago who had a license to wholesale (whatever they call it) in his own state. Small warehouse that’s fully temperature and humidity-controlled with grow lights, with a carbon dioxide injection system. His electric bills were massive, but his profit margins were more than sufficient.

Would you say cocaine has tighter margins than pot? I would believe that maybe, but I don’t know for a fact.