• Ethereal87@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I mean, the job of a governor (or President) isn’t to legislate like this. Laws should come from the elected representatives under the guidance of the head of state. And of course we’ll all be outraged when an Republican does this when they’re in power and they enact some god awful nonsense. We should push for better accountability from our elected officials and less of this universal declaration of whatever our current overlord sees fit to do.

With that out of the way, holy crap is he clever to edit “2024-25” into “2425” and set this program up for a very long time (assuming it doesn’t get struck down somehow).

• brndnpink@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yep. Wisconsinite here (and a teacher as well). I have mixed feelings on this. I’d be fuming if a Republican governor pulled something like this and I generally think it’s a power governors shouldn’t have. However, when held against the context of the way GOP has operated within the letter of the law to entrench themselves within Wisconsin politics, I’m all for Democrats using tactics like this. GOP will use them and it’s unfair for everyone to expect Dems to take the high road at the expense of our policy priorities.

In my perfect world I’d get rid of both this power and the GOP gerrymander in Wisconsin

• GivingEuropeASpook@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

It seems like the best response to Republican gerrymandering to use the overly broad powers of the veto over there to gut their agenda as best you can as a Democratic governor. People should expect and want their political representatives to do everything with the power they have to enact the ideology they claim to represent.

• Rentlar@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

That’s a really good point. With stupid electoral maps the game is already rigged, the Governor is just playing it like anyone.

US politics is so fucked up.

• soiling@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

agreed, this is a power that should not exist. I’m glad it was used here for good, and I also also recognize that the GOP plays dirty in every way they can, but it is scary that the intent of a law could just be completely rewritten by the governor. let’s hope WI can become more robust to abuse before a fascist ever gets elected governor