AI-created child sexual abuse images ‘threaten to overwhelm internet’::Internet Watch Foundation finds 3,000 AI-made abuse images breaking UK law

• RotaryKeyboard@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Holy hyperbole, batman! Threaten to overwhelm the internet!

Someone’s hungry for clicks today, eh, The Guardian?

AI-generated CSAM is illegal under the Protection of Children Act 1978, which criminalises the taking, distribution and possession of an “indecent photograph or pseudo photograph” of a child.

Aaaand there you go. This is nothing new. There have been laws on the books for decades to help deal with this exact problem. Someone just slapped “AI” on the story to gin up worry.

• Bell@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

They are trying to gather support for the new invasions into your privacy that are required “to save the poor children”

• stolid_agnostic@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

I agree with your assessment wholly. There was a case in the US (don’t recall the details) maybe 15 years ago or so where the “cp” was actually drawings of the Simpson’s children nude. Judge held that it didn’t matter if it was real or fake. This sort of thing isn’t new.

I only came to comment that I would not have predicted that AI would be used this way, but am not at all surprised by it.

• Clent@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

We were all worrying AI was going to murder us to save us from ourselves; turns out it’s going to do it by literally burying us in CASM.

Asimov was wrong!