• Kecessa@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Capitalism should exist for non essentials only. I don’t care that candy factories and stores aren’t controlled by the government/its workers, but I sure as hell care that my government is trying to introduce more and more private care facilities in our healthcare system!

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

Because one is realistic (a system where essential needs are all nationalised but non essentials aren’t, giving a place for greedy people who feel that need to make profit through their work) and the other isn’t (expecting greed to disappear).

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            8 months ago

No, I’m realistic, some people will always be greedy, better give them a way to satisfy themselves than have them corrupting a system that tries to eliminate them or to have them work in the black market.

It’s the same as drugs, you have better control over hard drugs users by making drugs legal, providing it and taking charge of them than you do by making it illegal and seeing them shoot themselves in an abandoned building with whatever junk they can find.

• RaincoatsGeorge@lemmy.zip
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

I agree with you. There’s lots of keyboard warriors with big opinions that have yet to put those opinions to the test in the real world. No, not the suburban tgi Friday’s sedan driving real world, but the gritty disgusting world of poverty and inequality. Most of us have zero concept of what that is even when we think that we do.

We can sit around jerking each other off with wonderful ideas like total government oversight to prevent corporate overreach in all industries but that ignores the fundamental reality of the world we live in. We have to work with what we’ve got to make it work for us the best that it can. It won’t be perfect, people will always be taken advantage of and others will stop at nothing to hoard wealth and retain power, but we can usually move the needle slightly in our lifetime and raise our kids to work hard to move it a little bit more.

We won’t see a world with some communist utopia anytime soon, capitalism isn’t going anywhere. But we can achieve victories with things like universal healthcare, universal basic income, improved access to mental health care and healthcare as a whole, and see the gun lobby reigned in so that we can finally pass common sense gun laws that will start to slowly address this madness.

Goals need to be reasonable and attainable. Otherwise you’re likely to never get off the ground.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                8 months ago

That and people would still be free to create a worker owned candy factory if they wanted, they would just compete with the private candy factory, which is totally fair considering that the government has no reason to create a candy factory in the first place.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

Oh and I didn’t quit anything because that’s been my opinion forever, I just never believed in complete nationalisation/seizure of the means of production.