Honda says making cheap electric vehicles is too hard, ends deal with GM::The platform was to use GM’s Ultium batteries.

• Vash63@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I thought only the American models were easy to steal because they left out some critical antitheft features on the lowest cost models? Didn’t think it impacted other countries.

• vaultdweller013@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Pretty sure their refering to the fact that certain Kia(?) models could be jacked using a screwdriver and USB. Basically the engines power button was shit. This is also why I dont fucking trust cars that use startup buttons, atleast if someone hotwires the car they had to work for it.

• RandomGen1@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

It only affected key start cars, if it was push button start, it was immune to the attack you describe.

• vaultdweller013@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

I was going off of something I vaguely remembered. But now my question is why the actual fuck was the key start system setup so badly.

• Trainguyrom@reddthat.com
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

My understanding is it doesn’t actually verify the chip on some models and the mechanism to start happens to be roughly the same size and shape as a USB plug. They took a risk and now they’re paying for it with a full recall

• BearOfaTime@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

That’s a damn good question, when chip-keys were fairly common in the 90’s already.