I’m just curious what you folks think. The whole idea of the Fediverse seems to go against everything Meta has stops for with their existing platforms (Facebook and Instagram).

What are they after? Are they going to try and infiltrate it so they can get people’s data and content? Are they trying to monetize it? It just doesn’t add up. I feel like most people on the Fediverse already would agree that we don’t want Meta’s platforms to access our content.

Please excuse my ignorance if it doesn’t work like I think it does. I’m relatively new to the Fediverse myself.

• Elkaki123@vlemmy.net
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Jajaja I thought about that while typing it out but I still dont believe this is about EEE, Meta hasnt operated with that mindset yet in other spaces from what I know and I feel this is more that a kneejerk reaction of people not liking big corporations associating it with the idea that big corps want to kill the freedom that these spaces bring to online communities.

But I believe in the design of the fediverse and the resilience of the people, I dont think that a few platforms hoarding the big majority threaten the entirety of the fediverse, as long as people can self host their own instances since we can ensure there will always be spaces for communities like this, even in worse case scenarios like Meta just having so many features that other platforms cant compete in those terms I still feel a niche of the same people that are building this today are going to stick with it, and thus we can keep this going even if we are forced to defederate at a later date or they defederate us.